Friday, December 4, 2009

Should NFL Players be fined for going to a funeral?

A member of the Vikings was fined $24k for attending a funeral and missing a game last week. I think its cr@p. How do you feel?



Should NFL Players be fined for going to a funeral?nba fantasy





Well...I feel badly for him that he suffered the death of a grandparent which is an awful thing to go through. However, I think the fine (which was probably a paycheck deduction) was appropriate:



1) I am sure that he had a contractual obligation to not miss any games.



2) The family could have scheduled the funeral for Monday if it was going to be a huge deal



3) I missed work when my grandfather died and I didn't get paid for it, and I count on the money I make everyday to survive and pay bills. I am sure his wallet wasn't hurt.



Should NFL Players be fined for going to a funeral?nba draft picks ,nba teams



I think if it was a "fine" then it is BS. But on the other hand, players are paid a VERY attractive salary (even at the league minimum) and they season is only 16 games. I think it is fair that a portion of the salary is withheld due to missing a game. Kind of like an unpaid leave of absence.
No, they should not. Think about if you parents died, and you were not allowed to go to their funeral. How would that make you feel?
I couldn't give less who you are; if someone you know dies, you have every right to go to his funeral and not get fined. The only questions I've got: Did he tell the coach about this, and was the guy actually going to the funeral of a person he knew.
I don't agreee with the fine. He went to his grandmothers funeral. The NFL should have a bereavement policy like the MLB. It probably does not because there are not a lot of games in the NFL season. Therefore, players are more obligated to attend every game.
he wasn't bothered by it. he didn't get fined as much as he just didn't get paid for that game check. when my grandmother died and I went to the funeral I didn't get paid for that day either.
I don't know if he should miss a game but that sucks to get a fine. He should of just moved the funeral o saturday or monday.
Why didn't the family think of the grandson and schedule it for Saturday or Monday. They're the ones who weren't thinking.



The gamecheck is probably more than the fine. Maybe they gave him a gamecheck and deducted the fine from it.
The NFL has got to be the only business that can get away with that. I wouldn't appeal to the league, I would sue in a court of law. It can't be legal regardless of what the contract says. You might even claim that being fined for attending a funeral is tantamount to religious oppression. I guarantee the NFL will forget about the fine.
I agree that it is not right, but was it a close family member? It must have been something in the way his contract was written.
Don't know the whole story. If it was someone very close to him, then a fine is wrong. Need to read more details.
I agree with you, - it would depend on his contract. I guess it was important enough to him to go and pay the fine.
If the funeral was on a yacht with strippers...Yes.
yes he should. he should know that the vikings come first, second, and third. they are paid to be somewhere on sunday....and in the cemetary is not it. in fact, the vikings probably think "hey! that dude isn't going anywhere.... go AFTER the season"
It is so B.S. this guy lost his grandmother and has to give the Vikings 24k?? this is rediculous and he should appeal this.
he gets paid millions of dollars to play football, not miss games.
It is crap...All the NFL's rules about "proper behavior" and "morality clauses" in contracts....Paying your respects to a human being after they have passed sets a very GOOD example, then you turn around and fine him.....Shame on them!!!



This should have been handled much better and alot quieter, I understand he is paid to do a job, and he failed to do so, but let's get things into perspective.........
That is awful....

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
bacteria